Lopez will combine with American rapper Pitbull and Brazilian singer Claudia Leitte to sing 'We Are One (Ole Ola)'.
The song was written and co-produced by Pitbull. Leitte said she was looking forward to "dancing samba with Pitbull and Jennifer Lopez in Brazil".
There has been no announcement of when the song will be released. A video is in development.
Speaking at the Maracana stadium on Thursday, Fifa General Secretary Jerome Valcke said: "I think We Are One... is a song that captures the essence of the World Cup, the essence of the World Cup in Brazil.
"I hope that millions of people will soon be dancing to the sound of this music, and I wish the singers every success." Lopez was not there for the announcement.
Columbian singer Shakira wrote 'Waka Waka' for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, and the song went on to become a hit across the world.
This year's tournament kicks off on June 12 and finishes on July 13, but concerns remain about the country's preparations for the competition.
Five of the 12 stadiums that will host matches remain incomplete with 140 days until the first game, Brazil v Croatia in Sao Paulo.
(c) Sky News 2014
Original headline: Jennifer Lopez To Record Brazil World Cup Song
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- EU Finance Ministers Discuss Investment Plan
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Will Apple's Digital Wallet Conquer the Card Swipe?
- Apple Reportedly Spent $100MM for Free U2 Album from iTunes
- Olive Garden's Breadsticks Targeted by Activist Investor