Jan. 24 -- BUCHAREST -- The general perception is that Romania has been making important economic progress, managing to overcome the economic crisis, Andrea Schachter , the head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) delegation in Romania said at the New Year's Reception of the Romanian-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry (AHK Romania). Romania has made an impressive progress, managing to overcome the crisis, which means that it enjoys now from a complete economic foundation. The country reduced its fiscal deficit by more than 6.5 percent of the GDP. Romania is also among the 11 member states that are no longer subject to the excessive deficit procedure. The current account deficit had reached a maximum level of 14 percent and came down to almost 1 percent of the GDP, which is, again, impressive. Last year, Romania excelled when it came to economic growth. However, this doesn't' mean that unemployment is no longer a problem. Unemployment among the youth exceeds 20 percent and this is something that must be treated with seriousness. The general perception is that there were important achievements. On the other hand, it is very important for the Romanian economy to be prepared to deal with the problems that appear at global level, the head of the IMF delegation continued. A delegation of the International Monetary Fund will be in mission in Romania over January 21- February 5 , to discuss the first and second evaluation of the precautionary agreement approved on September 27, 2013 . The IMF delegation, headed by Andrea Schachter , accompanied also by the teams of experts from the European Union and the World Bank , will have meetings, besides the authorities, with the representatives of the political parties, the trade unions, the business associations, the banks and the civil society. According to the resident representatives of the Fund in Romania and Bulgaria , Guillermo Tolosa , the conclusions of the talks will be presented at the end of the mission. ___ (c)2014 Agerpres, Bucharest, Romania Visit Agerpres, Bucharest, Romania at www1.agerpres.ro/english Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict