Jan. 23 --Bearing a resemblance to last week's upbeat venture-capital-investment numbers from MoneyTree , the quarterly DJX Venture Source report, released Thursday, showed a sharp fourth-quarter rise in Washington state but a slight decline from same period in 2012 for the nation. Washington companies attracted almost $531 million in 37 deals in the last quarter of 2013, a 522 percent increase in venture funding from the previous quarter and up nearly 139 percent from the final quarter of 2012, according to DJX, formerly known as Dow Jones VentureSource. The report said venture capitalists invested just over $1 billion in 136 deals in Washington in 2013, an increase of 11 percent in dollars and 18 percent in deals over 2012. These numbers are similar to last week's MoneyTree report from PricewaterhouseCoopers and the National Venture Capital Association . That report said companies in Washington raised $913 million in 126 deals in Washington in 2013. Discrepancies between the two reports stem from differing methodologies and definitions used by the competing firms. In contrast to the MoneyTree report, DJX said VC investments nationwide for 2013 reached 3,480 deals and $33.1 billion , a respective 5 percent decrease and 1 percent increase compared with 2012. For the quarter, however, numbers from the two reports are very similar, with the number of deals increasing 5 percent to 901, while drawing in $8.9 billion in investments, according to DJX. Coral Garnick : 206-464-2422 or email@example.com . On Twitter @coralgarnick ___ (c)2014 The Seattle Times Visit The Seattle Times at www.seattletimes.com Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party