It secured the fourth 2x5 MHz lot, having spent
Telecom will pay a third more than its largest rival,
This demonstrates Telecom's commitment to being the leader in mobile and data network capability and provide a foundation for Telecom to continue to deliver mobile and data services.
The winning bid means that the government raised
4G capability is already available on higher MHz spectrum, the 700MHz range is well-suited for fast mobile broadband services.
The auction's conditions is that the mobile operators will have to upgrade their existing rural cell sites to 4G within 5-years and continue to expand their coverage. This is to ensure that 90 percent of the country has access to 4G network.
Telecom's purchase is subject to clearance by the competition regulator, the
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party