The Southbank Centre yesterday announced that Daniel Barenboim will return to London in spring 2015 to perform orchestral music by Beethoven , Elgar and Strauss, together with four solo piano performances in which the humanitarian, conductor and pianist will perform a cycle of Schubert's piano sonatas. " Daniel Barenboim made his UK debut at the Royal Festival Hall in 1954, and it's ever since been a special place for him," said the centre's head of classical music, Gillian Moore . In 2008, he made headlines and drew sold-out crowds for his eight-part Beethoven sonata survey, a feat he repeated in 2012 when he returned to perform all five of the composer's piano concertos. In the concerts, scheduled for May next year, Barenboim will play all 11 of Schubert's completed sonatas over a single week. Imogen Tilden
Most Popular Stories
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- China's Money Rate Drops on Slowdown Concern
- Mt. Gox Files for Bankruptcy in U.S.
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- '300' Sequel Conquers Box Office Foes