The nanostructure protects beta-carotene against degradation and it modifies its sorption in the body. Solid lipid nanoparticles and nanostructured lipid carriers were used for the first time in pharmaceutical industries as novel drug delivery systems. The systems possess many advantages such as higher protection, more controlled release, and easier sorption, and they have attracted the attention of numerous researchers. In this research, nanostructured lipid carriers containing beta-carotene were produced through solvent diffusion method, and the effects of various parameters of liquid oil concentration in oily phase, concentration of oily phase, concentration of the active area, and the temperature of aqueous phase on the size of particles and stability of beta-carotene were investigated through response surface methodology (RSM). Common systems that are used as beta-carotene carrier in aqueous media in foodstuff industries cause turbid color due to the presence of particles at micrometric scale. However, nanostructured lipid carriers containing beta-carotene synthesized in this research create transparent color because their particle sizes are about 10 nm and they do not reflect light when are used in aqueous media. The plan has direct application in foodstuff industries, and it can be used in pharmaceutics and cosmetics too. Beta-carotene is a bioactive material that is required by human body as the main source of vitamin A. It is also an anti-oxidant that reduces the risk of catching cardiovascular diseases and some types of cancers. This substance is also considered as an industrial paint, which has many applications. Results of the research have been published in Food Chemistry, vol. 141,
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict