Hungary harvested 5mn tonnes of wheat in 2013, up by 25% from 2012, data from the statistical office showed. The higher harvest was supported by 1.6% y/y increase in the used arable land. The average yield per hectare increased by 23.5% y/y to 4.63 tonnes in 2013. Maize harvest grew by 41.2% y/y, backed by higher average production (up by 34% y/y) as well as by a 5.3% y/y rise in the sown area. Among the other cereals, the harvested sunflower was up by 11.6% y/y despite a decrease in harvested area, rape seed production increased by 26.5% y/y mainly due to a higher harvested area, while sugar beet produciton edged down 0.3% y/y in 2013. In total, the country's cereal production rose by 30.4% y/y to 13.5mn tonnes. The average production per hectare stood at 4.43 tonnes in 2013, up by 26.9% y/y.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?