HARRISBURG, Pa. , Jan. 21 -- The Pennsylvania State Senate Democrats issued the following news release on the behalf of Pennsylvania State Sen. Rob Teplitz : Middletown Borough has been awarded state funding toward completing a local water improvement project, according to state Sen. Rob Teplitz . The Middletown Borough Authority received a $1,275,000 low-interest loan, administered by the Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority ( PENNVEST ), toward completing flood proofing upgrades and extending service to the new Amtrak Station and Penn State Harrisburg student housing. " Middletown residents were hit particularly hard during Tropical Storm Lee, which caused historic flooding and damage to properties and the water and electrical systems. These projects were necessary to not only make repairs but also protect the borough in the future," said Teplitz (D- Dauphin / York . "The state's investment will help ensure that residents can rely on their water system in an emergency." In 2011 during Tropical Storm Lee, several wells were inundated with flood water, which contaminated the drinking water and damaged the electrical systems, leaving some residents without water and fire protection. As a result, the system struggled with poor water quality and water pressure. The projects will help increase the reliability of water in a fire emergency and provide a safe and continuous supply of water during flood or prolonged power outages. Rates are not expected to increase. CC AutoTriage1pm-140122-30TagarumaMar-4609770 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?