Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "In this study, the effects of microsized and nanosized carbon fillers [e.g., pitch-based carbon fibers (CF), multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWNT), and graphene nanoplatelets (GNPs)] on the multifunctional properties of polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) matrix composites were investigated. Among the three carbon-based fillers, experimental results revealed that GNPs were the most effective fillers to promote the PMC's effective thermal conductivity (k(eff)). The highest k(eff) of 1.94 W/m K was attained by adding 30.0 wt% (i.e., 22.4 vol%) of GNPs in the PPS matrix. The nano-sized MWNTs and GNPs had lower percolation threshold than the micron sized CFs to suppress the composite's electrical impedance. However, the coefficient of thermal expansion and the compressive elastic modulus of the composites were only slightly improved with the filler addition."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "The different levels of improvement in the composite's multifunctional properties can be related to the filler geometry, filler size, and the composite's phase morphology. POLYM. ENG. SCI., 53:2398-2406, 2013."
For more information on this research see: Effects of Microsized and Nanosized Carbon Fillers on the
Our news journalists report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2014, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?