NEW YORK (AP) — Activist investor Carl Icahn says he has purchased $500 million worth of Apple stock in the past couple of weeks to bring his total holdings in the company to more than $3 billion.
Icahn disclosed the purchases on his official Twitter account on Wednesday. He also criticized the iPhone and Mac computer maker's board, saying it's doing a "great disservice" to shareholders by not increasing its stock buyback significantly.
Apple did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment Wednesday morning.
Icahn has been pushing the company's board to spend more of its cash to repurchase shares.
Shares of Cupertino, California-based Apple Inc. are up $7.29 at $556.36 in morning trading.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Icahn says his Apple investment has crossed $3B
Most Popular Stories
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids