Penelope Cruz is set to play Magda, the leading character of "ma ma," a movie written and directed by Julio Medem with two other Spaniards in the cast, Luis Tosar and Asier Etxeandia, and with the music of three-time Oscar nominee Alberto Iglesias.
Currently in preproduction, the film will be shot next spring entirely in Spain and in Spanish, and will be produced by Cruz and Medem in collaboration with Morena Films, the Dyp communications company told Efe.
This will be the first time that Medem, director of "Lucia y el Sexo," and Cruz, star of "Volver," work together.
"ma ma" (no capital letters) tells the story of Magda, a woman who "faced with tragedy, reacts by living the life she always had within her, from the imaginable to the unimaginable. She and those in her most intimate surroundings live unexpected scenes of humor and gentle happiness," Dyp says.
This will be the Spanish director's first feature film since his prizewinning "Habitacion en Roma" in 2010 starring Elena Anaya and Natasha Yarovenko. Meanwhile he continues his project of adapting his novel "Aspasia, Amante de Atenas" to television.
Cruz, who recently had her second child, a girl, had a box-office hit last Christmas in the cast of "The Counselor," the latest film by Ridley Scott, in which she shared billing with Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Cameron Diaz and her husband, Javier Bardem.
(c) 2014 EFE News Services (U.S.) Inc.
Original headline: Penelope Cruz to star in new film by Julio Medem
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him