However, engineers entrusted with putting the helpline in place were shocked when they dialled the number and it was connected with other four- digit numbers in some states. The number chosen by DoT was operating on the same band frequency as numbers already allocated to some other states for public use resulting in interference with calls in these states.
DoT has now replaced 1037 with 1063 as the new helpline number. DoT sources said that this would further delay the process of making technical changes in telecom infrastructure across the country, including mandatory access by all telecom service providers, as the new number has to be made accessible from all basic and mobile phone across
According to industry experts, the glitch should not have occurred at all with
The helpline will enable landline, mobile phone and data service users to register complaints if they are not satisfied with their operators.
Currently, there is a two- tier complaint mechanism comprising a call centre and an Appellate Authority. According to telecom consumers grievance redressal rules, if a consumer is not satisfied with the redressal of the complaint by the complaint centre or the complaint remains unaddressed, he/ she can file an appeal with the Appellate Authority of the concerned service provider for redressal. If the complaint is still not attended, the consumer can approach DoT through the helpline number.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South