ENP Newswire - 21 January 2014 Release date- 20012014 - The international credit rating agency Fitch has affirmed its rating of the Bank of Valletta Group at BBB+, with a stable outlook. Fitch attributes its confirmation of BOV's rating to the Bank's leading domestic franchise, its strong funding base and its satisfactory liquidity position, which benefits from a large and stable customer deposit base. The agency refers to BOV's revenue-generating capacity, which has shown resilience even in a scenario of low interest rates. Fitch explains that BOV's rating is also influenced by high industry and single-borrower credit concentrations which are derived from the small size of the Maltese economy. When commenting on asset quality, Fitch observes that 'doubtful loans appear to have stabilised and are beginning to benefit from an improved provisioning policy implemented by BOV over the past two years.' BOV Chairman John Cassar White expressed satisfaction that Fitch has affirmed BOV's credit rating. 'The Fitch report can be viewed as an endorsement of the Bank's business model, which is based on prudent asset and liability management, and which is not dependent for its funding on volatile international money markets.' In the coming years, continued Mr Cassar White , the Bank will focus on improving its customer service, enhancing operational efficiency, and building up strong capital and liquidity buffers in line with current best international practice.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11