The government is making allout efforts to put the economy back on track as soon as possible. As they say, a sick economy is like a sick man, who regains strength slowly if the treatment is done along the right lines. In this regard, I suggest that the government launch a scheme, under which all US dollar deposits in Pakistan should get an annual profit rate of three per cent (to be paid biannually) from a fixed future date, for a period of five years. Here, we already know that we are getting loans from the International Monetary Fund at three per cent and also that the government has plans to obtain $600 million from selected foreign banks at about six per cent. In my humble opinion, if the above proposal is implemented, the government will receive a flood of US dollars and this will significantly improve our balance-of-payments deficit and foreign exchange reserves.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign