One Direction's Midnight Memories is the UK's bestselling album of 2013. Despite only being released in late November, the boyband's third LP sold 685,000 copies, easily outpacing earlier releases by Arctic Monkeys, Justin Timberlake and Daft Punk.
Although Midnight Memories was both the bestselling and fastest-selling album of the year, One Direction only narrowly beat Emeli Sandé for the 2013 crown. Over the past 12 months, the Scottish singer sold 683,000 copies of her 2012 debut, Our Version of Events - just 2,000 fewer than the X Factor group. Remarkably, Sandé's 2013 success followed an even more blockbuster 2012, when fans purchased 1.2m copies of Our Version of Events. Her record spent 66 consecutive weeks in the UK top 10.
Reading on mobile? Click here to watch
Over on the official singles chart, Robin Thicke's hit Blurred Lines was declared the biggest track of the year. Despite its controversial lyrics, which led to a ban at several universities, the British public purchased 1.47m copies of Thicke's single with Pharrell and T.I., beating Daft Punk's Get Lucky, which sold 1.3m copies, and the other runners-up: Avicii's Wake Me Up, Passenger's Let Me Go, and Naughty Boy's La La La.
Overall, British artists represented 80% of 2013's top 10 album acts and 60% of the top 40. Besides One Direction and Sandé, it was a huge four seasons for musicians such as Robbie Williams, Olly Murs, Rod Stewart, and Arctic Monkeys, plus acts like Michael Bublé, Bruno Mars and Eminem. Bublé and One Direction are the only two artists to have two albums in the overall top 40.
According to the British Phonographic Industry, sales of digital albums rose to 32.6m, 6.8% higher than the year before. The most-downloaded album was Bastille's debut, Bad Blood.
Official Charts Company bestselling singles of 2013:
1. Thicke ft Pharrell Williams and T.I. - Blurred Lines
2. Daft Punk ft Pharrell Williams - Get Lucky
3. Avicii - Wake Me Up
4. Passenger - Let Her Go
5. Naughty Boy ft Sam Smith - La La La
6. Katy Perry - Roar
7. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop
8. Pink ft Nate Ruess - Just Give Me A Reason
9. OneRepublic - Counting Stars
10. Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
Official Charts Company bestselling albums of 2013:
1. One Direction - Midnight Memories
2. Emeli Sandé - Our Version of Events
3. Michael Bublé - To Be Loved
4. Robbie Williams - Swings Both Ways
5. Olly Murs - Right Place Right Time
6. Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox
7. Rod Stewart - Time
8. Arctic Monkeys - AM
9. Gary Barlow - Since I Saw You Last
10. Ellie Goulding - Halcyon
(c) 2014 Guardian Newspapers Limited.
Original headline: One Direction's Midnight Memories named bestselling album of 2013
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare