INVESTMENT firm Aberdeen Asset Management enjoyed a late surge yesterday to top the year's final FTSE risers' board.The stock closed up 3.1 per cent, or 14.8p, at 500p, rounding off an impressive year for the company, which unveiled plans in November to buy Scottish Widows Investment Partnership (Swip) from Lloyds Banking Group .Aberdeen's rise came a day after Thomas Buckingham , UK income manager at JP Morgan Asset Management, highlighted the stock's "potential for future yield growth".The wider FTSE 100 index closed 17.82 points higher at 6,749.09, rounding off a 14 per cent rise for the year.David Madden, a market analyst at IG, said traders would "pop the Champagne corks"."Not only did they celebrate in honour of New Year's Eve , but also because 2013 has been a stellar year for the stock market," Madden said. British Airways and Iberia owner International Airlines Group has been among the best performers this year, more than doubling in value, with budget rival EasyJet also soaring by nearly 100 per cent.IAG edged ahead 2.4p yesterday to 401.4p, while EasyJet climbed 19p to 1,536p.Miners have been among the worst performers over the past year due to fears over a slowdown in growth in emerging markets such as China , and over the speed at which the United States Federal Reserve plans to withdraw its support for the world's largest economy.Silver miner Fresnillo was down around 60 per cent for the year, with Antofagasta and Randgold Resources losing more than a third in value.Fresnillo dipped a further 0.5p yesterday to 745.5p, while Antofagasta was down 10p at 824p and Randgold fell 11p to end the year at 3,790p.NEW YORK: The Dow closed out its best year since 1995, with US stocks rising modestly on a strong consumer confidence reading that kept 2013's upward bias intact to the end.The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 72.37 points, or 0.44 per cent, to 16,576.66. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index gained 8.20 points, or 0.45 per cent, to 1,842.95. The Nasdaq Composite Index rose 22.39 points, or 0.54 per cent, to 4,176.59.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?