The first contact with the satellite was made on Tuesday, Morales said during a military ceremony in the central region of Cochabamba.
"We have good news ... our
The satellite is expected to be fully operational in March, the president said.
The Tupac Katari satellite, or TKSat-1, named for the Indian leader who staged a rebellion against the Spanish Empire in the 18th century, was built by
The TKSat-1 was manufactured under the terms of a cooperation agreement signed by
The satellite was launched on
The TKSat-1 entered geostationary orbit last weekend and
The satellite will be operated by ground control stations in the Bolivian regions of
The TKSat-1 weighs 5,200 kilos (11,453 pounds) and is expected to function for 15 years.
The satellite will improve telecommunications and Internet access in isolated rural areas of
The TKSat-1 is also equipped to relay radio and television signals, and to provide service for neighboring countries in
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday