Engineers and safety specialists from
The test was part of an optional milestone under
The 12,000-pound test craft was lifted 8,000 feet above sea level by an
"The parachute test is essential for the commercial crew effort because it helps us better understand how SpaceX's system performs as it safely returns crew," said
During a normal spacecraft landing, the parachutes will be aided by the Dragon s SuperDraco thrusters to provide a soft controlled landing. This redundancy on both the parachutes and thrusters is designed to ensure safe landings for crews.
"SpaceX is working diligently to make the Dragon spacecraft the safest vehicle ever flown," said
The parachute test puts SpaceX a step closer to launch abort system tests. The company currently is manufacturing the spacecraft and rocket to be used for these flight tests.
SpaceX is on track to complete all 15 of its CCiCap milestones in 2014. All of
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence