At least one resident has been contacted in a phone scam that involves a telephone number of the Dubuque County Sheriff's Department . The department received information from an attorney advising that one of his clients received a phone call from someone claiming to work for Advance America informing his client to make good on a $500 check. The client received another call about 45 minutes later from the company, stating if the check was not taken care of, they would be at the client's house in three hours to arrest the client. The representative left the name of Peter Woods with a call back number of 888-519-9244. About 10 minutes later, the client received another call from the number of 563-589-4406, which is the sheriff's department's main administrative number. The client was told deputies would be at the client's house in 10 minutes to arrest the client because the client was not making good on the check. Capt. Dale Snyder said the department is not involved in the scam and is advising people not to provide personal information over the phone. A spokesman for Advance America, a payday loan company, called TH Media to state the company is not involved in the scam and doesn't have an employee named Peter Woods . "Spoofing" a telephone number can be done using a computer program that makes it appear the call is coming from a legitimate number.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen
- Dems in Energy States Back Away From Obama
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter