NEW YORK (AP) — Morgan Stanley says its earnings fell in the fourth quarter as it was hit by legal costs. The New York investment bank earned $433 million , or 20 cents a share, in the fourth quarter of 2013. That compared to $982 million , or 49 cents a share, a year earlier. Excluding litigation costs and a tax benefit, the bank earned 50 cents a share, beating the 44 cents forecast by Wall Street analysts. The results also exclude accounting adjustments related to the value of the bank's debt. The fourth quarter included legal expenses of $1.2 billion related to mortgage-backed securities lawsuits. Revenue rose 9 percent to $8.2 billion from $7.5 billion , beating analysts' forecasts of $8.02 billion . Morgan Stanley's stock rose 85 cents , or 2.7 percent, to $32.80 in pre-market trading.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- JLo Turns the Tables in New Vid: 'I Luh Ya Papi'