NEW YORK (AP) — General Electric Co. says its net income rose 5 percent in the fourth quarter on rising profits from the sale of aircraft engines, oil and gas drilling equipment and appliances. Its adjusted earnings matched Wall Street expectations. Its shares edged higher in premarket trading. GE reported net income of $4.2 billion for the fourth quarter of 2013 on revenue of $40.38 billion . That's up from net income of $4.01 billion on revenue of $39.16 billion in the fourth quarter of 2012. Adjusted to remove the effects of one-time items and discontinued operations, GE earned 53 cents per share. That matches what analysts polled by FactSet expected, on average. GE's adjusted earnings per share rose 20 percent compared with the prior quarter. Profit in the company's aviation, oil and gas, and appliances divisions all rose 20 percent or more in the quarter.
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Grand Jury Seated in Rick Perry Ethics Case
- U.S. Homebuilder Confidence Edged Up in April
- Alfonso Wins Executive of the Year Award
- The 420 on the Hemp Products Giveaway
- German Firm Starts Gas Deliveries to Ukraine
- Five Secrets for Keeping a Job
- Study: Casual Marijuana Use May Cause Brain Changes
- Coca-Cola Soda Sales Lose Pop
- Miami Attorney Being Honored for Charity Work