Hundreds of firefighters worked Friday to contain more of a wildfire that burned 1,700 acres and destroyed five homes north of Los Angeles, officials said.
A National Weather Service meteorologist said winds were not expected to be as strong as they had been, welcome news for firefighting crews.
Strong Santa Ana winds Thursday had spread an early morning illegal campfire into a major conflagration by mid-morning, officials said.
Three men, all in their 20s, were arrested Thursday and charged with starting the fire.
Glendora Police Chief Tim Staab said the men threw paper onto a fire started in an area not designated for camping. A gust of wind then blew embers "all over the place," the chief said.
About 700 firefighters from the Los Angeles County Fire Department, the U.S. Forest Service and other agencies reported the so-called Colby fire 30 percent contained Thursday night, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Thousands of people within the evacuation area were allowed to return to their homes after winds died down and firefighters announced "the forward spread of the fire has stopped."
Temperatures in the area were expected to be above 80 degrees with less than 10 percent humidity.
Copyright 2014 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: Firefighters work in calmer winds as they battle Southern Cal wildfire
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11