A member of Justin Bieber's entourage who was arrested earlier today for felony narcotics possession during a search of the pop singer's Calabasas home is now facing a vandalism charge for allegedly intentionally smashing a jailhouse phone.
Bieber pal Lil Za --real name Xavier Smith --was arrested by deputies mid-morning for possession of what detectives initially thought was cocaine but later speculated could be Molly, a form of ecstasy, or Xanax. He was taken to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Malibu/Lost Hills station and held in lieu of $20,000 bail.
While in custody, Smith allegedly damaged and broke the phone.
"What happened is he was in our holding cell, and that has a phone in it, and he broke it --he physically damaged it -- so we're adding a vandalism charge," said Lt. Michael Williams.
Williams said Smith could still post bail tonight on both charges.
Smith was arrested during an early-morning search of Bieber's house by deputies armed with a felony search warrant to look for video surveillance and anything else that might tie the 19-year-old singer to an egging of his next-door neighbor's house last week. Detectives are investigating the incident as a felony vandalism case and estimate the damage to the neighbor's house is roughly $20,000.
Smith's drug arrest was separate from the vandalism investigation.
Bieber was not arrested during the search, but the investigation is on-going.
(c)2014 the Daily News (Los Angeles). Distributed by MCT Information Services.
Visit the Daily News (Los Angeles) at www.dailynews.com
Original headline: Justin Bieber pal Lil Za faces new charges after breaking jail phone while in custody
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- Janet Yellen's Assets Grew by 8 Percent in 2013
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Petit Retires 46 Batters in a Row, MLB Record
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers