In 2013, coal production in Ukraine declined by 2.6% y/y to 83.7mn tonnes, the Energy ministry has announced. In December, coal extraction reached 7.5mn tonnes, up by 4.6% y/y and 11.1% above the plan. In 2013, the Energy Ministry -run enterprises delivered 24.1mn tonnes of coal, down 1.2% y/y. In December, the enterprises managed by the Energy Ministry mined 2.3mn tonnes of coal, 0.5% less than the plan and by 7% more in y/y terms. The losses of state-owned coal mines increased by 27% to UAH 15.1bn ( USD 1.8bn ) in 2013. In December 2012 , the Ukrainian FinMin said that a programme of economic reforms, aimed at partial privatization of state-run coal industry enterprises, could help significantly reduce the state budget's expenses on the industry. Over the last several years, coal production in Ukraine grew mainly on increased production from private mines. Further increase in mining output can be expected if the privatization and modernization of the state mines takes place.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Jack Daniel's Resists Changes to Tenn. Whiskey Law