TOKYO, Jan. 13 -- (Kyodo) _ Suntory Holdings Ltd. will acquire U.S. distiller Beam Inc. for $16 billion, the two companies said Monday.
Suntory will acquire all outstanding shares of Beam for $83.50 per share in cash, they said.
The transaction is expected to be closed in the second quarter of 2014 after approval by Beam shareholders and regulatory authorities, they said.
Suntory President Nobutada Saji said in a joint press release, "I believe this combination will create a spirits business with a product portfolio unmatched throughout the world and allow us to achieve further global growth."
Beam's brands include Jim Beam and Maker's Mark.
(c) 2014 Kyodo News International, Inc.
Original headline: Suntory to buy U.S. distiller Beam for $16 bil.
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Senate, House Locking Horns on Border Funds
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland
- LinkedIn to Buy Ad Tech Company Bizo for $175 Million
- Jeter, Bauer Give Fox a Strong Week in TV Ratings