Turning a public information poster into a work of art is no mean feat, but with his bold colours, clean lines and clever layouts, Tom Eckersley confirmed himself as a godfather of modern graphic design. To mark the centenary of his birth, 40 of his posters from the 40s-80s will be exhibited until 29 January at the London College of Communication . There, in 1954, Eckersley launched the UK's first graphic design undergraduate course; his students included Ralph Steadman and Charles Saatchi . Corinne Jones Tom Eckersley : Master of the Poster, Upper Street Gallery , London SE1, features images from the University of the Arts London's Eckersley archive. Captions: KEEP AN EYE ON VALUABLES Theft advice poster, 1973. LONG HAIR IS DANGEROUS Safety poster for London College of Printing , 1976. RETURN THAT OVERDUE BOOK Library information poster, 1975 . LOOKING BACK Poster for a show of London College of Printing alumni, 1974.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- JLo Turns the Tables in New Vid: 'I Luh Ya Papi'