Quote of the week goes to Markit's Chris Williamson for gamely trying to think of a new BoE angle, as figures showed the private sector added 150,000 jobs in the fourth quarter: "At this rate of job creation, the jobless rate will have reached the Bank of England's threshold of 7% for considering higher interest rates by early 2014." A good week for Jeff Fairburn , chief executive of Persimmon: the housebuilder has reported full-year revenues up 21%. The sector is enjoying a renaissance thanks to government schemes such as Help to Buy. So Fairburn might owe the chancellor a pint, or two. A bad week for Martin Scicluna , chairman of insurer RSA, which said it was taking legal advice about pursuing its ex-auditor, Deloitte, over the accounting crisis at its Ireland arm. That may prove awkward if he bumps into old colleagues: Scicluna, who has been at RSA for a year, spent 34 years at Deloitte, chairing it from 1995 to 2007, when he also headed its, er, audit practice.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March