Scientists said it was a nebula - a cloud of gas - around a neutron star called PSR B1509-58, or B1509 for short.
Neutron stars are created when massive stars run out of fuel and collapse.
The star has collapsed so much,
When it collapsed, it also caused an explosion which cast gas and material out into space.
It revolves at seven times a second and in doing so it throws out huge amounts of sub-atomic particles in streams.
It is the interaction between the particles and the gas that, when photographed with a special camera, create the amazing image.
A previous image of the "hand" was captured in 2009 by
The new image was taken by the agency's "black-hole hunting" Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array (NuStar) which is able to see even the highest energy X-rays.
It has an intense magnetic field at its surface, estimated to be 15 trillion times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field.
"The hand actually shrinks in the NuStar image, looking more like a fist, as indicated by the blue colour.
"The northern region, where the fingers are located, shrinks more than the southern part, where a jet lies, implying the two areas are physically different."
It is thought the hand was initially nicknamed the "hand of God" because it bears similarities to a detail from
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder