Elijah Wood has signed on for a lead role in Set Fire to the Stars, a film exploring the relationship between the poets Dylan Thomas and John Malcolm Brinnin. Wood will play Brinnin, an American poet and literary scenester who was friends with Thomas as well as Truman Capote and Tennessee Williams. He wrote Dylan Thomas in America, an account of how he brought the poet to America and accompanied him on book tours – which were often marred by Thomas's drunkenness and erratic behaviour. Thomas will be played by Celyn Jones , a veteran of TV shows like Above Suspicion, Leaving and Shameless. The film will be directed by Andy Goddard , who has directed Downton Abbey episodes including its recent Christmas special, and co-stars Shirley Henderson , Kelly Reilly , and Luther's Steven Mackintosh . Its soundtrack will be from Gruff Rhys, once of Super Furry Animals and now performing in high-concept electronic duo Neon Neon. Brinnin is the latest low-key, offbeat role for Wood in the wake of his mainstream success in the Lord of the Rings films. He recently played against type in the serial killer film Maniac , alongside his lead in TV comedy series Wilfred, and is gearing up to release a pair of films from his horror production company SpectreVision . Cooties is a high-school virus horror that Wood co-stars in alongside Alison Pill and Rainn Wilson , while A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is a vampire western. He also launched an accompanying film festival last year, Spectrefest, featuring films from John Landis and Ariel Pink as well as the forthcoming Grand Piano, starring Wood alongside John Cusack . The rather Hitchcockian-sounding thriller features Wood as a classical pianist returning after a bout of stage fright, only to be threatened during his performance by a sniper played by Cusack.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11