THE defence acquisition council in its last meeting in December had cleared the purchase of military hardware worth `
The impact of Manmohan's statement of " cutting the coat according to the cloth" will be felt in the months to come.
The IAF's mother of all deals for the purchase of 126 Medium Multi- role combat jets from French aircraft maker Dassault still hangs in the balance.
It is unlikely to be finalised within this financial year and in all possibility the decision will be taken only by the new government.
Sources said key aspects of the contract pertaining to the transfer of technology for making Rafale combat jets in the country and offset proposals submitted by the French company have been finalised but other issues relating to ownership of the aircraft manufactured in
Apart from the combat jet deal, the IAF is also awaiting movement on the purchase of air- to- air refuellers ( A- 330), attack helicopters ( Apache) and heavy lift helicopters ( Chinook). The IAF hopes these contracts will be finalised in the first half of 2014.
Proposal to buy ultra light howitzers M777 from the US is in the final stages and it hopes to be finalised in the first half of 2014.
The Prime Minister, during his address to the three service chiefs, had urged caution in defence spending
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law