BYKER Grove boy turned Hollywood hunk Charlie Hunnam is the centre of the hottest gossip as star of new bonkbuster movie Fifty Shades of Grey.
But the Newcastle-born heart-throb hasn't always been so eager to slip between the bedsheets.
The actor will be setting pulses racing in his new role as bondage fan Christian Grey, alongside fellow A-lister Dakota Johnson, in the coming film adaptation of EL James' 70-million bestseller. But those hotlyanticipated erotic scenes are more likely to leave the handsome 33-year-old stone cold. Not only does he find it "weird" having all eyes on him while filming sex scenes but "there's no feeling there", he told the Sunday Sun back in 2006.
At the time Charlie, whose acting career began with being talent- spotted in a Newcastle sports shop, leading to a role Byker Grove, talked frankly about his gay role as Nathan Maloney in Channel 4's controversial 1999 drama series Queer as Folk.
Talking about making those near-the-knuckle scenes, he said: "It's no different to straight sex scenes. There's no feeling there and it's really weird with everyone standing around watching."
Since then, the former Heaton Manor School pupil moved to the US to pursue a film career that included Nicholas Nickleby and Green Street before he joined the A-listers with such hits as Cold Mountain, Children of Men and this year's sci-fi thriller Pacific Rim.
But his latest role has faced some opposition with angry fans of literary sensation Fifty Shades of Grey taking to the campaigning web platform Change.org to express their disapointment at his casting.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW