RISING stars The 1975 have dominated the airwaves over the summer.
This month the popular band, from Wilmslow in Cheshire, will headline an already sold out gig at Hanley's Sugarmill. Following promising chart success with their singles Chocolate and The City, their latest release, Sex, is the lead single from the band's self- titled debut album. Currently number one in the midweek album charts, the ambitious foursome are busy promoting the record with a lengthy headline tour.
Lead singer Matthew Healy says the album features an eclectic mix of tracks. The record is quite fleeting in style, it doesn't stick to one genre, which pretty much sums us up as a band, he says.
The 24-year-old is the son of actor Tim Healy and Loose Women presenter Denise Welch. He is joined by guitarist Adam Hann, drummer George Daniel and bass player Ross MacDonald. The electro-pop band have been performing for the past 10 years, but have recently experienced a rapid rise in popularity and are tipped to be one of this year's breakthrough bands. To be honest I don't really care about that, continues the singer.
I'm just happy if people have a genuine investment in the music we play.
Hype or no hype, it's my band and people will either buy into it or not.
They may be called The 1975 but their music is undoubtedly influenced by the 80s.
Matt refers to the films of John Hughes as a major influence. The writer/ director is well-known for films such as Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club.
Our record is like the soundtrack to a John Hughes film, explains Matt.
We're the band at the prom who just want to make you dance and think about everything that's taken place to get you to that moment. The 1975 will continue touring until July next year and perform at The Sugarmill on Sunday, September 22.
IN A NUTSHELL Expect catchy tunes and a mix of electro-pop and indie-rock as The 1975 stop off at The Sugarmill on their headline tour
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?