The last surviving bodyguard of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler has died
at the age of 96, the co-author of his autobiography said on Friday.
Rochus Misch died in Berlin after a long illness, Burkhard Nachtigal told dpa.
Misch said he was present in Hitler's bunker in Berlin when the dictator killed himself on April 30, 1945, while Soviet troops were closing in on the centre of the devastated capital.
Misch was later captured by Soviet soldiers, and was held as a prisoner for many years after the war ended.
He published his autobiography, The Last Witness, four years ago. In it, he described how he was part of Hitler's personal security detail for most of World War II - working for much of the time as a telephonist.
Most Popular Stories
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- DishLATINO Wins Hispanic TV Award
- Twitter's Stock Rises on Stellar Revenues
- Ebola Outbreak Strikes Fear in Minnesota
- Judge Orders Kurdistan Oil Seized
- Beyonce Seen Apartment Shopping in NYC Without Jay Z
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?
- U.S. Consumer Confidence at Strongest Since 2007