A two-month hunger strike across California prisons came
to an end Thursday, a week after two state legislators promising to look into
concerns about inmate conditions.
State prison officials announced Thursday that all participants in the protest had started accepting food.
In July, more than 30,000 inmates began refusing meals to protest the state's use of solitary confinement. The number of protesters had since fallen.
Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, and Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, last week called for legislative hearings to address inmate complaints about conditions in maximum-security prisons.
Jeff Beard, the secretary of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, said he was happy the strike was over.
"We are pleased this dangerous strike has been called off before any inmates became seriously ill," he said in a prepared statement.
Most Popular Stories
- Accenture Gets 8 Percent Bump in Q1
- Lockheed Martin Ends Gifts to Boy Scouts Over Gay Ban
- Texting With Vodka: Booze and Social Media Can Mix After All
- Menendez Pushes for Iran Sanctions
- Stripped-Down Defense Bill Creates Winners, Losers
- Mazda Leads the Pack for Fuel Efficiency
- Debt Ceiling Looms Again as Deadline Approaches
- How to Protect Yourself After Target Data Breach
- Deportation Threat Looms Larger Than Citizenship Among Hispanics
- Baucus May Be Next China Ambassador