A feast for film fans at premiere ; SILVER SCREEN: STARS COME OUT TO SEE JADOO, A COMIC TALE ABOUT LOVE, FOODAND LEICESTER, BASED ON DIRECTOR AMIT GUPTA'S EXPERIENCES OF GROWING UP
The red carpet premiere of Leicester-based film Jadoo has received glowing reviews after an exclusive screening at Highcross.
The invite-only event saw more than 400 people join the cast and crew for the premiere of the Asian comic love story at the Cinema De Lux, Highcross, on Tuesday night.
The movie was written and directed by Amit Gupta, who used his experiences of growing up in the Belgrave area to create the tale of love, food and Leicester.
Jadoo stars Harish Patel, of Run Fatboy Run fame, and Kulvinder Ghir, who featured in the comedy Goodness Gracious Me, were among those who graced the red carpet.
The premiere also attracted hundreds of people who managed to get passes for the special screening.
Amit Patel, 46, from Syston, said: I think the film really represented Leicester, both in terms of the city and the Asian community. It'll definitely bring a smile to anyone from Leicester who's Asian, because they'll be able to relate to a lot of the scenes and cultural references. A very enjoyable experience.
Sonnita Soand, 25, from Houghton on the Hill, got some premiere tickets from her uncle, who appears in the film.
She said: I think it's really exciting and it's great that it gets Leicester on the map.
Councillor Manjula Sood, who represents Latimer ward, said: It was a lovely film and really brought out the magic of the area. It was nice to see my ward on the big screen and I think it's something we should be very proud of as a city.
Jadoo review, pages 36 &37 PREMIERE: SEE OUR VIDEO FROM THE EVENING Go to: leicestermercury.co.uk
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief