The Phoenix Suns Tuesday cut ties with forward Michael Beasley after one season
marked by disappointing on-court production and off-court legal problems.
The former No. 2 overall draft pick was let go after the Suns' president of basketball operations, Lon Babby, said Beasley failed to live up to the team's demands of "highest standards of personal and professional conduct."
"Today's action reflects our commitment to those standards," Babby said.
KTAR-AM, Phoenix, reported the Suns bought out the final two years of Beasley's contract, paying him $4.66 million for the upcoming season and $2.33 million for the 2014-15 season.
After spending two years with Miami and two with Minnesota, Beasley signed a three-year, $18 million deal with Phoenix in 2012, but posted career lows of 10.1 points and 3.8 rebounds per game in 75 contests, resulting in frequent benchings.
Off the court, the 24-year-old former Kansas State star is the subject of a Scottsdale, Ariz., police probe of an alleged January sexual assault at his home.
He also was cited last month for alleged marijuana possession and possession of drug paraphernalia following a traffic stop.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict