Eugenio Derbez is about to become a household name -- although he already is one in Mexico.
The new Spanish-language comedy "Instructions Not Included," which Derbez stars in and directed, had a strong debut this Labor Day weekend thanks to the growing number of Hispanic moviegoers.
Hispanics accounted for 25 percent of all movies seen in 2012, according to the latest American Moviegoing report by Nielsen.
"Instructions Not Included" was released by Pantelion Films, which was created in 2010 with the goal of landing wider theatrical distribution of movies aimed at Hispanics. Pantelion is backed by Lions Gate Entertainment and Mexico's Grupo Televisa. Latina actress Zoe Saldana recently signed a deal with Pantelion to help develop content to attract the Hispanic population. Pantelion has also released "Casa de mi Padre," starring Will Ferrell, and "Hours," an upcoming thriller directed and written by Eric Heisserer and starring Paul Walker, Génesis Rodríguez and Nick Gomez.
"Instructions Not Included" debuted in 347 cinemas, generated $10 million and landed in fifth place for the weekend, according to the L.A. Times.
The movie is about a playboy (Derbez) who has made a new life for himself and the daughter (Loreto Peralta) who was left on his doorstep six years ago, but finds his family threatened when the birth mother (Jessica Lindsey) resurfaces. Derbez is one of Mexico's best-known actors. He is the son of one of the greatest cinema and television actresses in the history of Mexico, Sylvia Derbez. He began acting at 12 years old.
Watch the "Instructions Not Included" trailer below:
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment