A French priest blessed his congregation's mobiles and tablet computers during a special service Sunday, arguing that he believes smartphones are a potential source for good in the world.
A French priest in
Rather than complain about the occasional 21st century interruption of a bleeping mobile disturbing his congregation's Christian meditation, Father
"Everybody has a mobile phone, and it is the Church's duty to bless those things that help people in their daily lives," said the priest. "People think of the Church as old-fashioned, but there's nothing wrong with being modern. Blessing smartphones is a reminder to Christians that their mobile devices can be used to do good in the community."
Father Florini said the newly-sanctified gadgets – that he lightly sprinkled with holy water – were now under the protection of the Archangel Gabriel, the Roman Catholic patron saint of messengers.
And he was happy that his call for parishioners to bring their mobile devices had also been good for attendance numbers – his congregation for the service doubled to 750.
More videos available on http://www.france24.com/en
Most Popular Stories
- Obamacare Doing Just Fine, Ky. Governor Says
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Rand Paul Signs up for Obamacare
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs
- Hispanic Employment Improves in November
- U.S. Chamber to Run Ads in Idaho, W.Va.
- Trapped Florida Whales Head for Deeper Waters
- U.S. Unemployment Rate Dips to 7 Percent
- Consumer Spending Rises, Incomes Fall
- American Eagle Issues Weak Q4 Outlook