Newly crowned Miss Texas USA 2014, Laredoan Lauren Guzman, 23, said
she is ready to represent Texas and excited to bring the crown to her hometown.
"This is something that I've been working hard for," Guzman said in a phone interview.
"This year I really believed I was ready for it. I wanted the job. I wanted the honor of representing Laredo and Texas."
Guzman has been competing in Miss Texas USA for four years, but got her first win Sunday when she competed against more than 100 contestants in Houston.
She was crowned Miss Texas Teen 2008 when she was 16. Laredoan Daniella Rodriguez, 16, won Miss Texas Teen 2013.
"I never tried to look at not winning as a bad thing, but rather a learning experience," Guzman said.
"Every year that I've come back and competed, I grow as a person."
Guzman said she has appearances at various charity organizations scheduled, and is looking forward to returning to her hometown.
"I'm excited to bring it back to Laredo and show everybody," she said of her crown.
"It's still kind of a whirlwind for me right now. It feels great."
Guzman will represent Texas in the Miss USA 2014 pageant next summer at the Trump National Doral Hotel and Spa in Miami.
"If you want something bad enough and you're willing to pursue it, you can accomplish your goals," she said.
(Matthew Nelson may be reached at 728-2567 or email@example.com)
(c)2013 the Laredo Morning Times (Laredo, Texas)
Visit the Laredo Morning Times (Laredo, Texas) at www.lmtonline.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department