Paramount does right by 'In the Heights'
The energetic regional theater debut of "In the Heights" at the Paramount Theatre shows that this ambitious Aurora venue's Broadway Subscription Series is growing from strength to strength.
For the 2013-14 season, the run of each Paramount musical has been expanded from three weeks to four to meet demand. And in the hands of Jeff Award-winning director Rachel Rockwell, the 2008 Tony Award-winning musical "In the Heights" decisively lives up to the Broadway-caliber work that Paramount has produced in the past.
It helps that Paramount was able to obtain Broadway designer Anna Louizos' "In the Heights" touring set for its production. Plus, the music sounds spicy-hot under music director Tom Vendafreddo, since the Paramount proudly boasts that they're performing Alex Lacamoire and Bill Sherman's full Broadway orchestrations. So if you missed the 2009 or 2012 tour stops of "In the Heights" in Chicago, then you can easily catch up by heading to Aurora without losing out on any of the quality.
Cowritten by Tony Award-winning songwriter/performer Lin-Manuel Miranda ("The Electric Company") and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Quiara Alegria Hudes ("Water By the Spoonful"), "In the Heights" is a vibrant celebration of the largely Latino community of immigrants and their second-generation children in New York's Washington Heights neighborhood.
Rather than exploring heated life-or-death conflicts, the authors are more concerned about presenting vibrant characters and everyday slice-of-life struggles.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign