Samsung has confirmed that it is planning to launch smartphones that come with curved displays sometime next month.
The announcement was made during the launch of its Galaxy Note 3 tablet in
"We plan to introduce a smartphone with a curved display in
A curved screen would be novel, but it is currently difficult to see how it would substantially affect the smartphone market. The so-called holy-grail for smartphone manufacturers would be flexible displays than can be unfolded to create larger screens when necessary.
Curved screens could however find their way into smartwatches, where the curved form would be more suited to shrinking the thickness of the device.
Depending on the degree of curvature achieved, one other option being suggested is that the screen could curve around the edges of the phone chassis -- which would enable the edges to be used for menu options and similar status services.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines