Proprietary wireless protocols are quickly losing their dominance in the healthcare market to more standards-based wireless technologies such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and IEEE 802.15.4. Over the next 5 years, Bluetooth Smart (formerly Bluetooth Low Energy) will lead in shipments and Wi-Fi will lead in revenues in the healthcare device IC market expected to exceed
"Smartphones and tablets are the primary reason for Bluetooth Smart adoption in MBAN devices. Given their growing penetration among consumers and Bluetooth Smart Ready enablement, they are the conduit for MBAN wireless sensor data back to cloud-based healthcare services,' says senior analyst,
The recent IEEE 802.15.6 and IEEE 802.15.4 enabled devices that can operate in the dedicated wireless spectrum (2360-2400 MHz) allocated for MBAN use are expected to witness less traction with adoption initially limited to professional on-site healthcare facilities. The 802.15.6 standard ICs are expected to ship around 8 million chipsets worldwide in 2018.
ZigBee and other 802.15.4 based protocols are expected to outperform 802.15.6 standard growing at CAGR of 72% over the next 5 years. Inhibiting adoption of the newer 802.15.6 protocol is the lack of wireless spectrum harmonization across different world regions.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills