In recent years, due to the widespread adoption of smartphones, there has been a constant rise in the number of mobile phone base stations. These base stations and other radio-frequency wireless equipment typically consume a substantial amount of electricity. Transmitter power amplifiers, which are used to amplify transmission signals, consume a particularly large amount of power, which has led to a need for improved electrical efficiency. By applying outphasing in a transmitter power amplifier,
The new technology will help pave the way toward lower energy consumption for mobile phone base stations and other radio-frequency wireless equipment.
Details of the technology will be announced at a monthly
In recent years, the growing prevalence of smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices has led to a constant rise in the number of mobile phone base stations and other radio-frequency wireless equipment that typically consume substantial amounts of electricity. Transmitter power amplifiers, which are circuitry employed to amplify transmission signals, consume a particularly large volume of electricity. Accordingly, decreasing the power consumption of transmitter power amplifiers would greatly help to reduce the power consumption of wireless equipment as a whole, a goal that has gained momentum as a way of reducing the technology's environmental footprint.
The electrical efficiency of a transmitter power amplifier typically varies in proportion to output amplitude, making it difficult to achieve high electrical efficiency with high dynamic range output power. For example, with transmitter power amplifiers used in today's mobile phone base stations, efficient high power output was limited to about 65% of all transmitting durations.
Most Popular Stories
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- U.S. Stocks Rise on Sysco Acquisition
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Tech Giants Call for Controls on Government Snooping