Sept. 27--Meryl Streep fans can get a first look at the Oscar-winning actress' bewitching role in the coming film "Into the Woods."
The film version based on the Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine musical started shooting this week in England, with Streep starring as a witch with wild hair and wilder nails who wishes to reverse a curse and restore her beauty.
Bernadette Peters originated the role on Broadway in 1987.
"Into the Woods," which is scheduled to be in theaters beginning Dec. 25, 2014, is a modern, musical twist on the Brothers Grimm fairy tales.
The Disney film dips into the aftermath of the quests of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk and Rapunzel in a story centered on a baker and his wife, and the witch who cast a spell on them.
Rob Marshall ("Chicago") is directing the film that also stars Johnny Depp (the Wolf), Anna Kendrick (Cinderella), Chris Pine (Cinderella's Prince) and Emily Blunt (the Baker's Wife).
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Miley Cyrus Performs in Undies After Costume Goes Missing
- FBI Helping Ukraine Recover Stolen Billions
- HBO No Go During 'True Detective' Finale
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Uninsured Rate Continues to Fall
- Colo. Raises $3.5 Million in Pot Revenue
- Kim Jong Un Elected in Remarkable Unanimous Vote
- Neil Young Debuts PonoMusic This Week
- Rodman Calls It Quits With Kim Jong Un
- Growth Expected if Congress Passes Budget