"One of my sayings is, 'We need to work smarter, not harder,' and the VALET toolkit allows us to pull data so we are in a better position to put officers in the right place at the right time when a situation arises," said
According to a statistical analysis based on historical data, the software program includes temporal prediction algorithms to forecast future criminal, traffic and civil incident levels within a 95 percent confidence interval, meaning the estimates of the collected data could be reliably repeated and used to predict future behaviors or actions.
The VALET software can be used on most computers, and its companion software, called iVALET, has been designed specifically for the iPhone and iPad.
Law enforcement agencies can receive trial versions of the software packages through
"Predictive and proactive analytics that creates a picture of what is happening at any given time and what could happen in an hour or a day or a week is a tremendous help for law enforcement and disaster relief officials," said
The technology enables law enforcement agencies to interactively visualize and analyze their datasets in linked geospatial or mapping and temporal views of time graphs, calendars and clock views.
"We are doing more than providing law enforcement officers with specific data covering their areas, because we've developed a portal for potential other issues such as prominent calendar dates, zoning tracts and even weather reports to help officers in their daily routines to protect the public," said
Collaborators in the development of VALET include the
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Futures Fall, Holiday Spending and Unemployment Up