So who played a key role in Miley Cyrus' transformation from sweet Hannah Montana to twerking, smirking bad girl?
Why, we did, fellow metro Detroiters.
In an interview posted Tuesday at www.rollingstone.com, the singer-actress who shocked America with a raunchy performance at last month's Video Music Awards on MTV says she went through some changes while shooting the movie "LOL" in the Detroit area in summer of 2010.
"Detroit's where I felt like I really grew up," she says. "It was only for a summer, but that's where I started going to clubs, where I got my first tattoo. Well, not my first tattoo, but my first without my mom's consent. I got it on 8 Mile! I lied to the guy and told him I was 18. I got a heart on my finger and wore a Band-Aid for two months so my mom wouldn't find out."
The teen-centric "LOL" is an English-language adaptation of a 2008 French film about romance in the age of social media. Scenes were shot in locations including Detroit, Dearborn and Grosse Pointe Farms, and Cyrus sightings were common in the Pointes and elsewhere in the late summer of 2010. The movie was released last year with little fanfare.
Actress Demi Moore costarred in the film, and Cyrus tells Rolling Stone she bonded with Moore during shooting. At the time, Moore's relationship with husband Ashton Kutcher was drawing tabloid headlines.
"That was dope because I think we needed each other at that point," Cyrus says. "We both needed to get out of L.A."
(c)2013 the Detroit Free Press
Visit the Detroit Free Press at www.freep.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: Miley Cyrus says she 'really grew up' in Detroit
Most Popular Stories
- Miley Cyrus Performs in Undies After Costume Goes Missing
- HBO No Go During 'True Detective' Finale
- FBI Helping Ukraine Recover Stolen Billions
- Colo. Raises $3.5 Million in Pot Revenue
- Uninsured Rate Continues to Fall
- Kim Jong Un Elected in Remarkable Unanimous Vote
- Neil Young Debuts PonoMusic This Week
- Rodman Calls It Quits With Kim Jong Un
- Growth Expected if Congress Passes Budget
- Shipwright Jobs Offered in N.C.