Sept. 26--Iranian Film Festival: The action-packed sixth annual event includes a film with Yul Brynner leading an all-star cast based on an Ian Fleming story (1966's "Poppies Are Also Flowers," shot in Iran), a film about a chain-smoking ad exec who works on tobacco accounts who meets the woman of his dreams -- but she'll marry him only if he gives up smoking ("Meeting Leila"); and "Just Like a Woman," about two women who have escaped unhappy marriages (Sienna Miller, Golshifteh Farahani) in the American Southwest. Saturday and Sunday at San Francisco Art Institute, 800 Chestnut St., S.F. www.iranianfilmfestival.org.
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" outdoors: The Pacific Film Archive is moving to downtown Berkeley (eventually), and would love to show you the place. Never mind about the lack of a building; they're showing movies outside the next two Fridays, co-presented by the Downtown Berkeley Association. First up is Phil Kaufman's eerie San Francisco-shot remake (1978), which might be more chilling than the original. And this was before every other film was a zombie film. Preceded by shorts and "a few surprises." 7:30 p.m. Friday on Oxford Street between Center and Addison streets. (510) 642-1124. www.bampfa.berkeley.edu.
Classic horror triple-feature: Here's a Sunday afternoon that demands access to your inner child. It starts at 2 p.m. with the local documentary "Watch Horror Films -- Keep America Strong," starring Bob Wilkins and John Stanley, followed by two restored creature features from the 1950s in 3D: "House of Wax" (3:35, 7 p.m.), in which Vincent Price runs a wax museum with a twist, and Charles Bronson has an early role as an Igor-like assistant; and the still mesmerizing "Creature from the Black Lagoon" (5:20, 8:45 p.m.). Sunday at the Castro Theatre, 429 Castro St., S.F. (415) 621-6120. www.castrotheatre.com.
(c)2013 the San Francisco Chronicle
Visit the San Francisco Chronicle at www.sfgate.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response