Sept. 26--Bright Stars of Bethlehem and the Levantine Center's "A Celebration of Palestinian Culture," which takes place Monday through Oct. 6 in Los Angeles and Irvine, features an art exhibition, performances from the Diyar Dance Theatre and hip-hop singer Dam, as well as the L.A. premieres of feature films and shorts.
The film series kicks off Tuesday at the Harmony Gold Theatre with "It's Better to Jump," a documentary about the Palestinian residents of the ancient walled city of Akka in northern Israel, which is home to Muslims, Christians, Jews and the Baha'i. Filmmakers Patrick Stewart, Gina M. Angelone and Mouna Stewart will participate in a post-screening Q&A. The film and selected shorts will also be screening at Harmony Gold on Saturday after a matinee performance of the Diyar Dance Theatre.
The L.A. premiere of Sameh Zoabi's drama "Under the Same Sun" is scheduled for Wednesday at Harmony Gold. Zoabi will be on hand to talk about his feature.
Two more documentaries are scheduled for Thursday at Harmony Gold: Yasmine Perni's "The Stones Cry Out," which shines the spotlight on Palestinian Christians, and Mahasen Nasser-Eldin's "Restored Pictures," a chronicle of the life of Karimeh Abbud, the first female photographer in pre-1948 Palestine. Both filmmakers will be participate in a Q&A.
A short film program is also scheduled after a matinee performance of Diyar Dance Theatre Sunday at the Irving Barclay Theatre.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson
- Janet Yellen's Assets Grew by 8 Percent in 2013
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Petit Retires 46 Batters in a Row, MLB Record
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers