- Snow Oracle Management Option prevents over-use of Oracle management packs
- Provides independent data to verify exact license cost and obligations
Oracle licensing is notoriously complicated and organizations historically face either paying expensive Oracle license experts to manually record what software is being used on what hardware, or risking waiting for a vendor audit - both costly and impossible to defend.
Snow OMO is available as an optional module of the industry-leading Snow License Manager solution and helps Oracle customers reduce compliance risks and expenditure by providing full visibility of the various metrics required to accurately determine the organization's licensing obligations. Examples of data captured by Snow OMO include:
- Installations of Oracle databases - physical and virtual - on all
- Configuration of host hardware and cluster topographies
- Accurate recognition of products and editions (e.g. Standard, Enterprise)
- Identification of hypervisor technologies and server clusters
- Tracking installation and use of Management Packs and Options
- Reporting on user accounts and activity status.
Using information collected and reported by Snow OMO, organizations can proactively reduce Oracle expenditure and risk by:
- Preventing costly enterprise edition software being used where standard
editions are sufficient
- Identifying Management Packs to uninstall - reducing risk of accidental use
which triggers licensing obligations
- Saving months of manual effort by automating the population of Oracle Server
- Monitoring use of Oracle products both within and outside an Unlimited Use
- Deleting unused or expired Named User Accounts
- Identifying full hardware configuration of physical hosts to determine
processor license requirements.
"For most organizations, an Oracle Server Worksheet is difficult to populate and only done during an audit or negotiation with Oracle. Using Snow OMO, organizations can create a dynamic Oracle Server Worksheet that's quick and easy to update and gives the SAM manager instant visibility of licensing obligations."
Analysts anticipate the volume of customer audits performed by Oracle and its partners will increase, with 38 percent of Oracle users being audited in 2012*. A common difficulty during audits is that any data collected by Oracle is not visible to the customer, so there is no independent verification of licensing obligations or cost. Using Snow OMO, organizations have the means to independently assess Oracle software usage and licensing obligations. This enables them to proactively manage the use and configuration of Oracle software, preventing unexpected costs and reducing the impact of subsequent audits.
Snow Oracle Management Option (OMO) is available with immediate effect.
* Source: How to survive an Oracle audit,
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Wisconsin Gov. Campaign Aide Fired Over Tweets
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Brazil Braces for Street Protests at World Cup
- Boehner Hires Immigration Reform Expert
- Sprint Not Moving Headquarters to California
- Gloom Settles on Markets Despite Strong Jobs Report
- Calif. Likes Christie, Says Tea Party's a Drag