KENNEBUNK, Maine (AP) — A spokesman says former President George H.W. Bush was an official witness at the same-sex wedding of two longtime friends in Maine.
Jim McGrath says Bush and his wife, Barbara, attended the ceremony Saturday joining Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen. He says they were there as private citizens and friends.
A photo posted Sunday on Thorgalsen's Facebook page shows Bush signing the marriage license as a witness. She captioned the photo: "Getting our marriage license witnessed!"
The 41st president has deep ties to the area and owns a compound in Kennebunkport.
Thorgalsen and Clement own a general store in neighboring Kennebunk. They were honeymooning overseas and did not immediately respond to emails Wednesday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: George H.W. Bush is witness at same-sex wedding
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- Social Media Can Help a Company's Credit Line
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Fuentes Makes NAHREP's Top 10 List
- Alfredo Ramos Martínez, Mexican Muralist, Symposium at Scripps
- Juanes Back to Singing About Love
- Hispanic Unemployment Eased in February
- 2 Million Long-term Jobless Have No Benefits
- Darrell Issa Apologizes to Elijah Cummings
- Boeing Freezes Nonunion Workers' Pensions