KENNEBUNK, Maine (AP) — A spokesman says former President George H.W. Bush was an official witness at the same-sex wedding of two longtime friends in Maine.
Jim McGrath says Bush and his wife, Barbara, attended the ceremony Saturday joining Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen. He says they were there as private citizens and friends.
A photo posted Sunday on Thorgalsen's Facebook page shows Bush signing the marriage license as a witness. She captioned the photo: "Getting our marriage license witnessed!"
The 41st president has deep ties to the area and owns a compound in Kennebunkport.
Thorgalsen and Clement own a general store in neighboring Kennebunk. They were honeymooning overseas and did not immediately respond to emails Wednesday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: George H.W. Bush is witness at same-sex wedding
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits