KENNEBUNK, Maine (AP) — A spokesman says former President George H.W. Bush was an official witness at the same-sex wedding of two longtime friends in Maine.
Jim McGrath says Bush and his wife, Barbara, attended the ceremony Saturday joining Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen. He says they were there as private citizens and friends.
A photo posted Sunday on Thorgalsen's Facebook page shows Bush signing the marriage license as a witness. She captioned the photo: "Getting our marriage license witnessed!"
The 41st president has deep ties to the area and owns a compound in Kennebunkport.
Thorgalsen and Clement own a general store in neighboring Kennebunk. They were honeymooning overseas and did not immediately respond to emails Wednesday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: George H.W. Bush is witness at same-sex wedding
Most Popular Stories
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- Pols Back Away From Bundy After Racist Statements
- First-time Jobless Claims Jump by 24,000
- Putin Says Internet Is CIA Plot
- Durable Goods Orders Rose More Than Expected
- Freshman Senators Speak Out on Foreign Policy
- Nasdaq OMX Profits Soar in Q1
- John Oliver Set for 'Last Week Tonight'
- Justin Bieber's War Shrine Pic Causes Flap
- Sina Loses License Over Porn